Use these instructions to map your QuickBooks general ledger accounts to Paladin accounting categories, so you can transfer Paladin accounting data to your QuickBooks general ledger accounts. This can be done manually or you can use the Paladin integration with QuickBooks to automatically transfer your GL summary every night.
- Sign in to QuickBooks and open the Chart of Accounts.
- Click Lists, and then click Chart of Accounts.
Note: If you do not have account numbers yet, on the Edit menu, click Preferences, click Accounting, click Company Preferences, and then select the following check boxes:
- Use Account Numbers
- Require Accounts
- Create these account numbers:
Other asset account
Other current liability account
Other current liability account
Note: To change an account number, select Chart of Accounts, and then click Edit Account.
- Sign in to Paladin Point of Sale.
- On the File menu, click Setup.
- In the Paladin Configuration window, click the Accounting tab.
- For each accounting category, enter the corresponding QuickBooks account number or name.
- You must enter a QuickBooks account for every category on the Accounting tab.
- QuickBooks desktop integration only (not QuickBooks Online): If you have QuickBooks accounts with types of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable, only one of these accounts can be entered on the Accounting tab and receive general ledger data.
Example: If you have two QuickBooks accounts:
- Account 102 with type of Accounts Receivable
- Account 103 with type Accounts Payable
Then only 102 or 103 (but not both) can be entered on the Accounting tab
- A QuickBooks Accounts Payable type account must be assigned to the Paladin Inventory Purchase Account category and cannot be also entered (duplicated) in another category.
- A QuickBooks Accounts Receivable type account must be assigned to the Paladin Accounts Receivable category and cannot be also entered (duplicated) in another category.
- Multi-store only: If you are setting up a multi-store to use the QuickBooks integration, you can use QuickBooks classes to identify the accounts for each store (see optional class setting in the table below) or create separate company accounts for each store. If you use separate company accounts, the appropriate company account will be selected when Paladin Support turns on the integration.
- To learn more about the Paladin accounting categories and how they map to the Comparative Revenue Report, see Overview: Paladin Accounting (General Ledger) categories
The following picture shows the the Accounting tab with all required categories highlighted. Note that the Coupons Issued categories only apply if you use Rich Rewards and represent the coupons that were issued by your store.
- Set any optional settings:
Setting Description GL Export Account Name (under Asset Accounts)
QuickBooks requires that an account designated as Accounts Receivable be linked to an customer account. This is the name used for the QuickBooks customer account.
You can keep the default (PALADIN_CHARGE) or enter a custom name.
GL Export Account Name (under Liability Accounts)
QuickBooks requires that an account designated with the type Accounts Payable be linked to an customer account. This is the name used for the QuickBooks customer account.
You can keep the default (PALADIN) or enter a custom name.
Department Format This setting does not apply to QuickBooks GL data exports.
For QuickBooks integration only:
Import data to QuickBooks Class (under QuickBooks Settings at the bottom of the window)
In QuickBooks, you can assign accounts to a class using the class tracking feature. This feature can be used to distinguish accounts for different stores, for example. If you set a class, then Paladin will export to the QuickBooks accounts in that class only.
- Click Close, and then click Yes.
- Restart Paladin.
- Next steps:
- If you manually export to QuickBooks, see this article: How to manually export GL data from Paladin Point of Sale to QuickBooks.
- If you are setting up the accounting integration with QuickBooks, notify Paladin Support that you are ready to finish the setup process.
If you have questions or suggestions about this information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.