- Before you start this process, you must export the data (refer to KBA 6672), and read through this entire procedure.
- Paladin offers data import services. If you need help, please call us for a quote.
- Do not import inventory data into Paladin Point of Sale until after store hours.
- You must import a tab delimited Excel file:
- Column headers must contain case sensitive, accurate spelling.
- Columns without headers will not be imported.
- Each row can only include one inventory item.
- How to open an Excel document and retain the leading zeros
- How to correctly format column headers for importing
- How to save a document as a tab delimited file using Excel
- How to import inventory into Paladin Point of Sale
How to open an Excel document and retain the leading zeros
- Open the Excel worksheet.
- On the File menu, click Open, browse to the Excel file, highlight it, and then click Open.
- In the Text Import Wizard window, select the Delimited checkbox, and then click Next.
- In the Delimiters Options section, select the Tab checkbox, and then click Next.
- In the preview window, click the first column displayed, press the Shift key, and then click the last column. All of the columns will be highlighted.
- In the Column data format options, click the Text.
- Click Finished.
How to correctly format column headers for importing
- Create a new Excel worksheet.
- In the first row of the Excel file, enter this term: OBSCUREINVENTORY.
- In the second row of the Excel file, enter all of the required column headers and any optional recommended column headers that you want to include.
- In the data file that you are editing, remove any columns that you do not want to use.
Note: The following table indicates values that are required and recommended for a successful import of data.
|Required column headers||Optional column headers|
IMPORTANT: Blank columns will not be processed. The ID / Value pairs must exist and be setup in Paladin Point of Sale prior to running the importer. Many columns only hold the reference ID to its corresponding value. For example, if supplier 55 is ACME, then the value of SUPPLIERID would have a value of 55, and not the name of ACME.
How to save a document as a tab delimited file using Excel
IMPORTANT: You must import a Tab delimited file with each row as one inventory item.
- Open the Excel worksheet that you want to import.
- On the File menu, click Save As, select Tab Delimited, rename the file, and then click Save.
How to import inventory into Paladin Point of Sale
IMPORTANT: To make sure the import will function as expected, create a test import file with only a few items. If you make a mistake, call Paladin Customer Support and ask for the Data department.
- Open Paladin Point of Sale.
- On the Maintain menu, select Data Viewer.
- Click the Table Exporter/Importer tab.
- In the Select a table list, select OBSCUREINVENTORY.
- In the Import Mode pane, select the New Records Only checkbox or the Update Existing Items
- Click Import Table.
- In the Import SQL Table Filename window, browse to the Excel file that you created, right-click on the filename, and then select Open.
- When the import has been complete, a message will appear with this statement: Inventory Import Complete.Note: If the import was not completed, the Inventory Exceptions window will appear. Save the text file, so that you can analyze why some of you inventory failed to import. Correct mistakes, and then try to import again.
- On the bottom ribbon, click Advanced Lookup, look for some items that you imported, and then check all fields for accuracy.
If you have questions or suggestions about this information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.