Build date: 29-Nov-17
Our new Sales Tax Details report provides state, county and city tax details by invoice line item and includes a tax summary with taxable and non-taxable sales totals. The report opens as an Excel worksheet and can be created for a period of up to 31 days.
The picture shows an example of the line items details in the Sales Tax Details report.
The tax summary with taxable and non-taxable totals is included at the bottom of the worksheet. The following picture shows an example of the tax summary.
The following information will help you understand the tax summary values:
- The Totals values match the Comparative Revenue report revenue and tax totals.
- The Total Taxable Sales and Non-Taxable Sales values break down the taxable and non-taxable sale totals for each tax type, and are the sum of individual line items.
- Each value in the last row is the sum of all taxes collected (State Tax, County Tax and City Tax) and the column’s Total Taxable Sales and Non-Taxable Sales values.
Changes to sales tax details in the Comparative Revenue report
The Sales Tax Details report perfectly complements the newly-enhanced Comparative Revenue report, which will now calculate taxable and non-taxable values by line-item instead of by invoice.
The following picture shows an example of the enhanced sales tax details.
In this table, for each tax type (state, city, etc.), the taxable sales total is the sum of the line-items that were taxed, and the non-taxable sales total is the sum of the line-items that were not taxed.
Prior to this update, in the Comparative Revenue report, if a tax type is applied to at least one invoice item, then the entire invoice sale amount was included in the taxable sales total for that type. Similarly, if a tax type was not applied to any invoice items, then the entire invoice sale amount was included the non-taxable sales total for that type.
Tax data prior to 2018
In Fall 2017, Paladin upgraded its invoice sales tax history to include tax details by line item. These details are used to calculate the taxable and non-taxable sales totals in the Sales Tax Details report and the enhanced Comparative Revenue report. If you create either of these reports for a time period prior to this upgrade, some invoice line items will not show tax details or be included in the sales totals. When this happens, you are informed in these ways:
- When you run the Sales Tax Details report, a message appears.If you click OK or press F8 to continue with the report, a note will appear at the bottom of the spreadsheet, and State, County and City Tax totals will not reflect all sales and may be zero (0).
- When you run the Comparative Revenue Report, a message appears below the SALES TAX DETAILS table. Paladin Point of Sale will also estimate and itemized sales tax amounts. These estimates will appear with a tilde (~).
What if I am audited?
If you require tax details to support an audit, contact Paladin Support (800-725-2346 or email@example.com).
How to create a Sales Tax Details report
- On the top ribbon, click the Reports
- In the Report Area pane, click Sales Analysis, and then click What I Need To Know.
- In the Report List, click Sales Tax Details.
- In the Choose Report pane, click Next or press F12.
- In the Report Settings pane, in the Invoice Date row, specify a date range that is 31 days or less.
- Optional: In the Additional Settings pane, if you want to include line items that are notes, select the Show invoice notes check box.
- In the Sorting Options pane, click Run Report or press F12.