Many products now incur additional fees set by government and regulatory agencies for recycling or environmental remediation. Currently, Paladin makes it easy to automatically include these fees at checkout by using an existing Paladin feature. However, as multiple fees are added, we recognize the need for detailed reporting.
To accomplish this, we’ve added a new report that provides breakdown of additional item fees by the item’s class. For example, if items A and C both incur fees and belong to the same class, their fees will be grouped together in the report. To make the best use of this report, make sure all items with fees are assigned to a class.
The report is provided in Excel and contains:
- A summary and total of all fees by class
- Itemized lists of fee transactions for each class
Notes about class assignment to fees:
- Fees are associated with the item’s class at the time of sale. This means that item fees collected prior to assigning a class to an item will appear in the ‘no class’ category.
- If your inventory item has multiple classes selected, the fee will be associated with the first class as viewed from left to right in the Inventory module, General tab.
How it works
Turn on the fees feature
If you haven’t set up the feature that lets you assign fees to items, do this:
- In Paladin, on the File menu, click Setup and then click the Invoice (Store) tab.
- Select the Use Alternate Core Charge Identifier checkbox.
- Optional: In the Core Charge Identifier box, replace ‘core charge’ your name choice for the fee. This name will be used for this fee throughout Paladin, including when the fee is added to an invoice. In this feature notice, we use the name “Required Fee”.
- Click Save and then click Close.
- Restart Paladin.
Assign fees and classes
Now you are ready to set fees and classes. In the Inventory module, open each inventory item that will incur a fee. On the General tab, in the Item Information pane, look for the box with your fee name (our example used Required Fee), and enter the fee amount.
Make sure a class is selected.
Note: Class assignment for a collected fee is set at item’s class at the time of sale. So, if you update the class on an item during the report time period, the collected fees for the item may be distributed across different classes in the report.
Create the report
You can see a breakdown of collected fees by class in the fee details report. You can find it in the Reports module, Sales Analysis > What I Need to Know section. The report will appear with your custom fee name. In our example the report name is Required Fee Details. Before you create the report, you can specify a time period in the report settings.
If you have questions or suggestions about this information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.