To encourage customers to bring their own reusable bags, some cities, counties, and states are implementing a tax or fee on each paper bag and plastic bag that is needed at checkout.
Stores that are using Paladin Point of Sale must be set up to charge a fee for each bag and show the total amount of fees charged on the customer’s receipt.
- Open Paladin Point of Sale.
- On the File menu, click Setup.
- In the Paladin Configuration window, click the Dept tab.
- In the Departments pane, click New.
- In the Name box, enter this: Bags
- In the Department label number box enter a number. Zero will not be accepted.
- Select the Dept non-taxable check box.
- Click Save, and then click Close.
- On the top ribbon, click the Inventory module.
- On the bottom ribbon, click Add Item.
- In the Part # box, enter this: Bags
- In the Description box, enter this: Shopping bags
- In the Cost box, enter the tax that you must pay to the city, county, or state.
- In the Sell Price box, enter the fee that you charge the customer.
- In the SOH box, enter this: 0
- In the Department list, select the Bags
- Click F12 Add.
- Click the Order Control tab.
- In the Stock Information pane, in the Max Qty box, enter this: 0
- Press Enter.
- Click the padlock icon, and then click Save.
- Click the Pricing tab.
- In the Item Cost pane, in the Avg box, verify that is the tax that you must pay to the city, county, or state.
- In the Pricing Levels pane, select the Net check box.
- In the Sale Price column, on row 1, verify the fee that you charge the customer.
- In the General tab, in the Item Information pane, select the Non-inventory check box.
- Click Save or press F12.
How to enter the shopping bag fee at checkout
- On the top ribbon, click the Invoice/Quote module.
- In the Part Number box, enter Bags.
- In the Quantity box, enter the amount of bags sold to the customer, and then press Enter. The Bags fee will appear on the invoice.
How to calculate the total tax owed to the city, county, or state
- On the revenue report, under Department Detail, on the Dept Name Bags line item, use this key for the calculations:
A = Tax that you pay to the city, county, or state
B = Fee per bag that you charge the customer
C = Total fees collected for the bags
- Calculate the total bags sold = C ÷ B
Example: $21.00 ÷ .07 = 300
- Calculate the total tax that you owe = Total bags sold × A
Example: 300 × .05 = $15.00
If you have questions or suggestions about this information, contact email@example.com.